Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Schipperke Pendant Commission

Painted fused glass pendants are something I began offering a few years ago. I use a special glass paint that cures in the oven for maximum durability. Recently a client from Australia contacted me to inquire about having a portrait of her two Schips painted on one of the pendants. She had taken an assortment of photos of each dog and emailed them to me, and we tried several different combinations to find the one that worked best together. With one dog being black and the other gold we ultimately decided on this greenish blue (or bluish green?) colour for the pendant which would allow both dogs to show up well. The pendants I had in that colour however were all about 1" in diameter, which would mean each dog would have to be quite small in order to fit both on. It would work, but people might have to look pretty close to see the detail! So I headed off to the glass shop to ask about having some larger pendants made. It's a really great little shop with wonderful customer service, and they were happy to make some for me. I was able to choose the glass, specify a size, and a week or so later I went back to pick them up - perfectly round pendants measuring 1 5/8" in diameter. That size was a much better fit for two headstudies. I completed the painting, sent a picture to the client for approval, then popped the piece in the oven for a half hour, added the large silver plated bail, and sent it on its way to Australia. It has now arrived and I'm happy to say she is thrilled with it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment